From: django-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:django-users@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of James Bennett
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:00 AM
To: django-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Password Policy Adherence. Cannot use the passwords used before

I'm going to suggest you step back and consider whether the policies you want
to implement are good policies. A good, solidly-researched set of
recommendations is NIST SP800-63B:

https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

In particular, NIST suggests the following:

* Do not use a policy which automatically "expires" passwords and forces users
to change them periodically. Only force a password change when you have
evidence that a password has been compromised.
* Do not try to impose artificial "complexity" rules (like requiring a mix of
uppercase/lowercase, numbers and symbols).
* When a user changes their password, compare it against lists of
known-compromised passwords.

Forcing users to change their passwords on a set schedule just encourages them
to choose weak passwords that are easy to remember. If you force me to change
my password every three months, for example, here's what I'll do:

* P@ssword!2019_1
* P@ssword!2019_2
* P@ssword!2019_3
* P@ssword!2019_4

These passwords are all different from each other, and they each contain at
least one uppercase and one lowercase letter, at least one number and at least
one symbol. They're also terrible passwords that would probably get cracked
within minutes, if not seconds, by any good automated cracker.
That's a year's worth of passwords, each of which is different from the last,
each contains one
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAL13Cg9Xi7QdCCffqROi_FjLzKimtWYBR%3DusMxf6ihf_E6%3D-9A%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAL13Cg9Xi7QdCCffqROi_FjLzKimtWYBR%3DusMxf6ihf_E6%3D-9A%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/7d7e9de09028498e8fca89973db6484f%40iss2.ISS.LOCAL.