I've been thinking about ideas to capture more detailed logging info in
Django for my app.  For instance, I'd like to capture every time someone
views a certain object.  Also, I might want to capture all items viewed
in a session.  There are obviously several ways to do it.  The simplest
is probably to just add the code in a view and do something like:
    item.viewed += 1
    item.save()

My concern is that it may be a lot of db activity.  I know that
premature optimization can be a bad thing but I'm going to do it anyway ;)

So, my thought is to subclass the local mem cache mechanism and modify
the _cull behavior so that instead of deleting, it will process the data
store all the data in the db.

The benefits are:
- Speedy updates when objects are viewed.
- Spacing out the impact of the costly writes over several minutes

Downsides:
- It might be more likely that some of the data is lost.  However, I'm
ok with this since it's aggregate data and the loss of a handful of
sessions is no big deal.
- I'm trying to optimize something that doesn't really need to be done.
- Possibly increased memory usage

Has anyone else done anything like this?  Am I trying to solve a problem
that doesn't really exist?

Thanks for the input.

-Chris