On DreamHost, in ~/mydomain.com I have two files:

1. dispatch.fcgi

#!/home/myusername/python/bin/python
import os
import sys
from django.core.servers.fastcgi import runfastcgi
sys.path += ['/home/myusername/django']
os.environ['DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE'] = 'myproject.settings'
runfastcgi(['method=threaded', 'daemonize=false'])

2. .htaccess (this is what you use to tell Apache to enable
mod_rewrite, note the . before the name)

AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi/$1 [QSA,L]

In my case, I have my Django projects/apps installed under ~/django,
and my Virtual Python installation in ~/python.

--------
Nathan Ostgard