I tried using the signals... but setting a new value on the record,
seems to also set it on the _original_data ...which is odd...maybe I'm
not seeing something stupid that I'm doing?  If I change my
marketing_status_name data in my view and save, the new data is in
both the _original_data, and in the new property value.

# some extra properties removed to make it shorter to read
from django.db.models import signals
from django.dispatch import dispatcher
from django.db import models

def backup_model_data(sender, instance, signal, *args, **kwargs):
     instance._original_data = instance.__dict__.copy()

class MarketingStatus(models.Model):
    marketing_status_id = models.AutoField(primary_key=True)
    marketing_status_name = models.CharField(blank=True, maxlength=30)
    marketing_status_description = models.CharField(blank=True,
maxlength=255)

    def save(self):
                        testing =
self._original_data['marketing_status_name']
                        testing2 = self.marketing_status_name

                        triggererror = madeupvariabletotriggererror #
just stuck this here so I can view the data in the browser

                        super(MarketingStatus, self).save()

    class Meta:
        db_table = 'marketing_status'

dispatcher.connect(backup_model_data,signal=signals.post_init,sender=MarketingStatus)