I am trying to filter by users who are not staff, but this user column
accepts NULL values in my model.

As a result I need to check for user__isnull, since
user__is_staff=False will not work for null values.

I tried:
  Post.objects.filter(Q(user__isnull=True) | Q(user__is_staff=False))
but this returned nothing, while a plain old:
  Post.objects.filter(user__isnull=True)
returns a query set with Post objects.

I tried rewriting this as a NAND:

Post.objects.exclude(user__isnull=False).exclude(user__is_staff=True)
but this didn't work either.

Is this a bug?