James,

Django Evolution is a project that is working to take care of that
problem (http://code.google.com/p/django-evolution/). I have not used
it but, if what they say on their site is correct, it does what you
are looking for:

"When you run ./manage.py syncdb, Django will look for any new models
that have been defined, and add a database table to represent those
new models. However, if you make a change to an existing model, ./
manage.py syncdb will not make any changes to the database.

This is where Django Evolution fits in. Django Evolution is an
extension to Django that allows you to track changes in your models
over time, and to update the database to reflect those changes. "

Hope that helps,
Dana