On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > You might want to check the date on that thread before you pull it in
>  > for moral support.
>
>  If you bothered taking a look at the thread, you would have seen that
>  the decision to keep the pluralize simple was discussed and probably
>  introduced as the way forward at the time. Hence my reference. (Below
>  the belt Russ! :-))

If you felt my comment was below the belt, I apologize. It wasn't
intended as such.

I did look at the thread, and I stand by my point. The discussion you
reference was from a time when pluralization was important for
different reasons. Pre-magic removal (the time from which that thread
comes), the plural name was used as part of the API - i.e., you didn't
ask for Entry.objects.all(), you said entries.get_list(). As a result,
the pluralization process was an important part of the API, so getting
pluralization right was important. The magic removal process turned
pluralization into almost entirely a presentation issue. The
requirements of pluralization in the API are quite different to those
at the presentation layer.

There is a side discussion in the thread about adding pluralize as a
class method. I suspect that this was also on the table for
pre-magic-removal reasons - back in the day, there were limitations on
your ability to associate methods with models. Since the magic has
been removed, this is no longer an issue - if you want to put a
pluralize() method on your models to assist with rendering, you are
free to do so. Regardless, the context for that discussion is quite
different to the context of this current discussion.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)