So i'm working on a view that will need to parse character strings
that will have a predictable structure, but dynamic content.  The
format will look like "%Zxxxxxxxxxxxxxx^xxxxxxxxxx?;xxxxxxxxxxxxxx?
where all x are the unpredictable characters and all the rest will be
present in EVERY string, regardless of content.  I'm relatively new to
django, so there are many functions, and options that i'm unaware of,
and i'm sure there is some type of split() modifier, or some related
function that would help in parsing the text for use as variety of
variables derived from the original string.

My only thoughts so far are to use a series of split('delimiting
character'), to break the original string into smaller strings and
then save the truncated strings i want, one at a time.

Also, does anyone happen to know of some command within django that
will allow me to capture a specific number of leading characters?
Something like foo = original_string.MAGICFUNCTION(4) that would
capture the first 4 characters and save them to foo would be
awesome.

Any input would be really appreciated, thanks!