Hi all,

We're implementing some new stuff for our website in Django;
unfortunately our site currently uses PHP quite heavily (for MediaWiki,
Wordpress, phpBB and the like), and when we tried deploying the first
cut of the solution, Apache segfaulted - best guess is that this is a
result of PHP's problems with a statically linked version of the mysql
library, which are known to interact badly with mod_python and mysql [1]

Unfortunately, although the problem is with PHP, I have to work around
it in order to get my Django app working, at least until I can budget
the time to remove PHP from the site entirely :-)

I guess quite a lot of people out there have had similar problems, so I
was wondering what the most popular workaround is?  Here are the options
I've found or been told about so far:

    * Use mod_wsgi so that all of the Django stuff is kept in a separate
      process.  (A bit ugly.)
    * Run a separate server (Apache, lighthttpd, or whatever) just for
      Django.  (Even uglier.)
    * Recompile PHP with the appropriate flags to make it use a shared
      mysql library.  (Scary!)

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Giles

[1]
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/deployment/modpython/#if-you-get-a-segmentation-fault
http://modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.013.htp

--
Giles Thomas
MD & CTO, Resolver Systems Ltd.

Try out Resolver One! <http://www.resolversystems.com/get-it/>

17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK