Hello all,

I am pretty new to Django, and coming from a fairly "protective"
environment in terms of web development.  My only experience in webdev
stems from my first job out of college, where I came into a very
complex/robust system and did more tweaking/maintaining than creating.

I am trying to broaden my horizons, and feel that my background is
sort of tainting my view of how to organize my own server, especially
one in which the framework used is so much different (read: better ..
DRY, MVC) than what I am used to.

So I created the stereotypical "blog" project, along with using
pluggables such as tagging, django-syncr, etc. to further extend it.
However, as I start to read around, I feel more and more that I really
messed up the organization of that project.

How I have it set up is like this:

/mainproject (contains settings.py, etc).
/mainproject/core/ (contains a bunch of core apps that are required
throughout, i.e. I put the tagging and django-syncr apps here, as well
as a people app for users)
/mainproject/contrib/ (contains all the other apps, such as the blog
app, a contact form app, etc)

This has caused me a good deal of stress, as you probably can
imagine.  To start, I have clashing SVN repositories due to the svn
checkout of tagging and django-syncr.  Also, I have to add 3 separate
paths to my PYTHONPATH in order to get python to find everything.  As
I add more sites to this server, and continued the same directory
structure, I would end up needing 3 new entries on the PYTHONPATH for
each project.

I was thinking of changing this around, to better suit multiple django
projects on one server, as well as simplify my pythonpath and
repositories.

/home/django/pluggables/ (contains such things as tagging, django-
syncr, any other future pluggables I download)
/home/django/sitename/projectname/ (contains settings.py for that site-
project, templates, apps for that project, etc)
/home/django/sitename/static/ (contains all static content, css, js,
etc)

How do you guys set up your directory structure, especially for
servers that may host multiple websites using django?

Is it bad form to use such a directory structure as I have currently
set up? (I am guessing it is, but looking for confirmation or
otherwise)

Just trying to get some ideas on the most efficient, easily movable/
extensible way of organizing my projects on a shared server (shared in
the sense that I have multiple sites, not a shared hosting environment
per se, and movable in that how easily I could take one project and
move it to a separate server).

Thanks for your insight.

Bryan