I'm hosting a bunch of django apps on a shared host with 80MB of
application memory (Webfaction in this case).  I've got a bunch of
apps that are very infrequently used, but need to be online.  I've
already changed the httpd.conf:
    ServerLimit 1
Instead of the default "ServerLimit 2".  With the default, each app
spawns 3 apache processes; one manager, 2 worker processes.  With
ServerLimit 1, there is only a manager and a single worker.  This cuts
down on a lot for low-traffic sites.

However, I'd like to see what the bare minimum memory usage can be.
I've made sure DEBUG = False.  I also separated the static media to a
separate server with MEDIA_ROOT and MEDIA_URL.  When I first start
apache, the manager and worker processes use about 3MB (RSS) each.
After the first access with a browser, the manager stays the same but
the worker uses 16MB and stays there until apache is restarted.

Ideally, I'd love it if the memory usage go back to the initial state
(3MB) after a period of inactivity.  I'm curious; what is being stored
in memory?  Are there other things I can do to reduce memory usage?

The one thing I've seen is the "MaxRequestsPerChild" apache setting.
As far as I can tell, it'll recreate the worker process after X
requests.  But this seems like it might adversely affect performance,
since I need something time-based, and not # requests based.  With
MaxRequestsPerChild, I'm guessing if I set it to 10 but only had 9
requests, it would sit there using up memory until the tenth request,
which is not ideal.  With MaxRequestsPerChild set to 1, I'd be
guaranteed low memory usage but would also recreate the worker process
for each request, which seems like a bad idea.

My goal is to have many apps running at bare-minimum memory usage, and
only the frequently accessed sites taking up ~16MB memory each.  And
when the active sites are dormant (late at night, etc), I'd like those
to lower their memory use as well.  Is there any way to do this?

Thanks! (and apologies if I've missed some obvious documentation...
I've gone through a few guides, but nothing seems to have helped).