On Feb 22, 2010, at 3:13 PM, andreas schmid wrote:

> Peter Herndon wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:40 AM, andreas schmid <a.schmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> im experiencing strange problems now. the user is able to authenticate
>>> against ldap only if in the active directory the displayName == username
>>> why this? i dont get any error or traceback, the user only isnt able to
>>> get logged in
>>>

>> If users were able to authenticate, and are now not able to
>> authenticate, what changed?
> i was thinkin the authentication over ldap group was working because i
> testet it only whith a testuser which had sAMAccountName == displayName
> but now im figuring that if thats not equal it desnt work as expected.
> the app is still in development and i didnt work on it for a few days.

Hmm.  When I get to work tomorrow, I'll take a look and see if the displayName
is the same as the sAMAccountName in our AD.  If they are consistently the
same, that might be a sign that some part of this operation is looking at the
displayName.

It occurs to me, Andreas, I'd be very interested to know if someone who has a
displayName *different* from the sAMAccountName can log in initially, but not a
second time; or, can that person not log in at all? Is it consistent? If you
change someone's displayName, do they instantly stop being able to log in?

> i started to log a bit today and will go on tomorrow and post what i
> will get or the solution if i will find it.

Do let me know. I'm wondering if the problem is with the bind setting on line
81 of backends.py.  Where I work, our AD is configured to accept
"hernd...@example" for the bind, where the "@example" is your NT4_DOMAIN
setting.  If your AD is not configured to accept that kind of identifier, that
might cause an issue.  We may need to mix things up a bit, and try a
search-for-user-and-then-bind approach similar to the one in the eDirectory
backend starting at line 157.  It also occurs to me that the "n...@domain"
pattern might be looking at displayName -- I'm no expert on Active Directory.
To that end, you may want to insert a logging statement of the exception that's
caught at line 134, between 134 and 135.

---Peter