richardvo...@gmail.com wrote:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Perette Barella <pere...@barella.org> wrote:
I think there's a misunderstanding on how the WPAD DNS version operates. The
"wpad.domain.localnet" is used by the browser at startup to locate the proxy
configuration file which applies to all domains.  You don't need a separate
wpad.google.com and wpad.amazon.com for every domain users are trying to connect to.

If for some reason your local hosts are configured with different domain names
(and therefore looking up wpad.google.com or wpad.amazon.com), I think we need
more explanation on just what strangeness you've got going on.

In general, I think we can say that users who have ignored the
DHCP-provided domain and configured their own intend to opt-out of
wpad.  Browser proxy settings are at the discretion of the user
anyway, if you want a mandatory proxy setup you'll need to use
iptables to accomplish that, not DNS.

There's no need to wildcard match wpad hostnames, which are subject to
user-side DNS caching anyway (a user who has configured for
domain=google.com probably already has wpad.google.com cached and
won't get information from dnsmasq).

Any solution to this which involves DNS is inherently broken.
Guys, all I want to do is to be able to use my company-provided laptop at home which has proxy in the network. It is configured with a different domain than my local subnet for obvious reasons. DHCP was tested and confirmed to work properly with MSIE. FF does not work as it relies purely on DNS (wpad). The idea is to make this as transparent as possible.

-Eric