*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

Below are two messages from John Gray who is with the Scottish Highland
Council and two releases from the International Teledemocracy Centre in
Edinburgh. Scotland is definitely a place to watch when it come to
e-democracy developments.  Check out ITC's E-Democracy Toolkit
<http://www.teledemocracy.org/htmldir/ourwork/toolkit.html> and the
Electronic Democracy and Educating Young People article
<http://www.teledemocracy.org/htmldir/ourwork/publications.html>.  Ann
Macintosh's presentation based on this paper was one of the major
highlights of the Digital Citizenship last month conference in Sweden.
It is a MUST READ article that integrates technology, research, theory,
and real world application. The result is one of the most useful and
informative articles I have read on e-democracy.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online Newswire

Two messages from John Gray:

GENETICALLY MODIFIED CROP TRIALS: A DISCUSSION FORUM:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/discussion_forum/gmcrops/forum.html

The Highland Council has launched a discussion forum on Genetically
Modified Crop Trials. We launched this debate in response to public
concern, compounded by the lack of consultation by central government with
local communities and their democratically elected representatives.

We are keen to engage the public, communities, organisations, interested
stakeholders and opinion from further a field in this debate, and warmly
welcome your input into this electronic discussion.

Our on-line discussion forum has been designed to be user friendly. It is
hoped that this will enable and encourage people to participate in the
consultation process. The discussion forum can be accessed from The
Highland Council's home page http://www.highland.gov.uk/ or directly at
the following WWW address:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/discussion_forum/gmcrops/forum.html

NATIONAL PARKS IN SCOTLAND - LESSONS FROM NORTH
AMERICA?

http://www.think-net.org/

We in Scotland are just developing National Parks and would welcome your
experience on how to do this.  What frustrations do you have?  Are these
because of how you are set up? Could these issues be overcome through
better regulations, management procedures, etc.  What works well for you?
Do your powers go far enough?

Are the boundaries of your national park suitable?  Do they encompass an
appropriate sphere of influence or should they have been drawn tighter or
further afield.  What features provide a good park boundary, a road side,
the edge of a settlement, a river?

To assist us with the preliminary stages, we in the Highlands of Scotland
are hosting an electronic debate on our think-net website.  Please feel
free to log on and participate in the debate.  We would certainly value
input from your experience on issues highlighted above and on the matters
raised within the paper as posted on our web site and the emerging
discussion.

Many thanks for your time and consideration, I look forward to reading
your comments.

Regards

John Gray
Chief Executive's Office
The Highland Council
Glenurquhart Road,
Inverness,
HIGHLAND,
IV3 5NX
Scotland
Europe

Tel No: 01463 702706, E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

(www.highland.gov.uk)(www.hi-ways.org)(www.think-net.org)

From:
http://www.teledemocracy.org/htmldir/ourwork/itc_news.html

ITC plays key role in Highland Youth Voice Elections 18th September 2000

Our electronic election system called e-voter is being used from 4th
September to 10th October 2000, to support the Highland Youth Voice
elections. It will support the education of the voters on the purpose of
the election, the voting process and arrangements for the counting of the
votes. Specifically the site will be used for voting and discussion by
young people who have registered in each of 28 schools in the Highland
area, and other authorised users, provided that they authenticate their
identity. It may also be accessed on a ‘read-only’ basis by any internet
user.

11 to 18 year old school pupils - who have registered to use the site are
able to

- read Election News
- vote
- read candidate statements
- read and post comments in an issue-based threaded discussion forum
- read results of the election turnout and voting

The system can be seen at the Highland Youth Voice web site.
<http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org/>

First e-petition to Downing Street - Press Release 20th July 2000

A campaign aiming to protect Scottish fishing jobs is looking to net a
whole new raft of supporters including Prime Minister Tony Blair. WWF -
the global environment network - today launches its Oceans Recovery
Campaign (ORCA) to raise awareness of the plight of the UK's marine
environment. A key part of the campaign is the first-ever e-petition to be
accepted by No 10 Downing Street.

Designed by the International Teledemocracy Centre (ITC) at Napier
University, in partnership with BT Scotland, the e-petition is calling for
action by government to regenerate the seas, including the piloting of
Fishing-Free Zones and a stronger network of Marine Protected Areas.

Ann Macintosh, Director of ITC said, “We want to work with government to
develop teledemocracy to enable more open, democratic and effective
government. Having brought together best practice from around the world to
develop the internet petition system, it is very exciting to see the
concept transposed onto a real live issue. We are delighted that the value
of our work is being recognised at the highest level.” Graham Moore,
Director BT Scotland, said: “BT Scotland is playing a key role in
delivering an electronic Scotland to ensure that everyone has access to
the democratic process and this is a excellent step towards that.”

The Centre has already gained a formal agreement with the Scottish
Parliament. In May the Parliament agreed to accept petitions submitted to
it electronically via the ITC's e-petitioner system for a trial period of
one year.

Members of the public can sign the ORCA petition online by visiting the e-
petitioner. Petitioners can also lend their support by visiting a
specially-designed interactive yellow submarine which will be hitting the
campaign trail around the UK over the next three months.

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***