*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

See announcement below.

When you hear about "online consultation" you often think of a more
technologically sophisticated web-based systems for well organized online
events.  In fact, if your goal to end up with quality deliberative content
with an extended time value and your online event is time-limited (i.e.
specific start and finish), with a structured agenda and process, with
staff and significant promotional resources, then I do feel the use of
web-focused tools for political discourse and information exchange can
work quite well.  If you are willing to put as much into an online event
as an in-person conference and _give up_ any notion that the online event
will just happen easily and instantly because of technology, then you can
achieve success.

While I tend to recommend facilitated e-mail lists with web archives for
_sustained_ political discussion for geographic places (coffee talk),
e-mail can also we used for wider audience, more topical deliberative
events.  A couple of years ago, Tim Erickson experienced the limits of E-
Democracy's "coffee talk" model where our general state political
discussions <http://e-democracy.org/mn-politics>, while sustainable, often
touch only the surface of complicated issues and can easily become
personality and ideologically focused.  As I have noted in person many
times, "Ninety-nine percent of political discussion on the Internet is
pure junk, E-Democracy's is only half junk.  The miracle is that any of
this has any value.  Our challenge is to build upon what works and sustain
the foundation we have built."

Tim started Politalk <http://www.politalk.com> in his spare time to
experiment with time-based topical exchanges using multiple e-mail lists -
a public stage e-list and small group discussion lists.  Tim does one of
the best jobs with structured e-mail exchanges I have seen.  He is also
E-Democracy's volunteer list manager for the St. Paul Issues Forum and
produced our St. Paul Mayoral Candidate Conversation.  While facilitation
of our general discussion spaces in my opinion should remain fundamentally
volunteer, online special events and original content should at least have
their costs and production time covered.  If resources present themselves,
Tim and E-Democracy will explore adding occasional major public policy
online events to our non-profit family.  (Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.)  Drop
us a note if you can help in this department.

Once you subscribe to the main Politalk list
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Politalk/join> you can explore the web
might try these tools and techniques for your own projects or perhaps work
with E-Democracy and Politalk to produce future events.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online