On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM, David Nelson <comme...@traduction.biz>wrote:

> Hi, :-)
>
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:10, Hal Parker <halparke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Fortunately, many of the screenshots are already from Linux (usually
> > Ubuntu), and many others are o/s neutral (for example, bits of a
> spreadsheet
> > that don't show the window decoration), but yes there are quite a few
> > clearly from Windows -- though old WinXP pix look to me more like Ubuntu
> > than WinVista or Win7.
> >
> > When I am retaking pix for other reasons, I'm taking them on Ubuntu, but
> > haven't been retaking all the pix just to get them out of Windows.
> >
> > Do we have a requirement to get rid of all the Windows pix in the Writer
> > Guide before publishing the first edition?
>
> Well, given the firm opposition to Windows screenshots I've read in
> the recent past, I'd say it would be a good idea...
>
> > The Getting Started book certainly hasn't had all the Windows pix
> replaced.
>
> I guess it would be an issue to be addressed, hopefully with
> preparation of a revised edition for lulu.com...
>
> Again, this is just my 2 cents based on previous discussions in the lists.
>
> David Nelson

Certainly a revised Getting Started book (which needs other corrections and
updates, not just the pix) should have the screenshots replaced. I rather
jumped the gun shoving out the book before it was fully reviewed and edited,
on the theory that it's more efficient to ask forgiveness than it is to ask
permission. ;-)

On the same principle, I don't think we should delay the first edition of
the Writer Guide only to update the screenshots; IMO we should publish the
chapters ASAP and move on, returning to fiddle with pix when we're doing
other updates and revisions.

I'd like to see the WG chapters available to the public on the wiki as soon
as we're verified that the facts are correct. So far, the work Barbara's
done that I've checked looks very close to first publication (by my
standards); I'm hoping to quickly get through the other chapters she's done,
though I may be overly optimistic about my time available.

Of course, if several people with non-Windows boxes can tackle the pix
quickly enough, publication would not be delayed.

Hal