On 05/13/2011 11:17 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 10:57 +1000, Lana Brindley wrote:

Tags and categories can complement each other. No need to use one over
the other.

Is one or the other preferred for particular purposes? Or is it more
that individual readers might prefer, or be more accustomed to using,
one or the other? Which would be better for us to use on the blog? Or
should we use both, to appeal to both user groups?

My ignorance on this subject is so great that I have difficulty even
asking an intelligent question! If anyone has a pointer to an
explanation somewhere, that might help.

--Jean

Sorry, that was a very abrupt answer, wasn't it!

I'm sure everyone uses these things differently, but on my own website, I use categories as a broad organisational structure, and tags as a more fine-tuned one.

For example, an article about using fixed rows/columns in Calc might use the categories "Calc" and "Help", and the tags "Calc", "Help", "Formatting", "Spreadsheet", and "Rows/Columns".

I present categories on my site as a list, and tags as a tag cloud. This gives two different methods of interaction for users. People can interact with whichever they feel most comfortable with, and it also provides two different ways of presenting the info to catch a reader's eye as they're reading the main text on the site.

Hope that helps!

Lana Brindley
Content Author
Engineering Content Services
+61 7 3514 8178 - ext (85) 88178
RHEL5 RHCT: 605008757717273
RHEL5 RHCSA: 100-043-694

"See first that the design is wise and just: that ascertained, pursue it resolutely; do not for one repulse forego the purpose that you resolved to effect."
William Shakespeare, on why planning is important.