Hi Tom, all,

On 15/02/2013 12:35, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :) Once the Guides are updated for the 4.0.0 it would be more
> ideal if the docs team could work on the in-built help because

Thanks for your call for help on the help :) Some details however :

1.
> All the translator teams put a very high priority on translating the
> in-built help but don't get much time to do the guides

In fact it's two different work, you don't need to be a localizer to
translate the guide, but the contrary is more difficult. Localization is
not linear and is out of context, you don't have pages or chapters to
translate, only strings from several different files. So this is not the
same "job".

> 2.  It's really, really ancient and out-of-date, around 8 years
> out-of-date!  Possibly still referring to 'recent' changes in the
> name from StarOffice to OOo.

As I already told you, this is _not true_ at all. This is now near 12
years that I work on the localization of OOo and now LO, the help files
have been updated all the time until it becomes LO. Now there has been
several new features or strings added that have not been mirrored in the
help, the same for some strings removed that has not been removed from
the help files. But there has been some work done however it was not
complete.

> It's going to be a pain to work with because of the xml tags but
> perhaps Kate or Gedit or something might help by colour-coding tags
> so they are easier to ignore.

The difficulty are not the tags per se, it's the structure that you have
to have in mind which is more difficult to learn.

 Some people are working on making the
> editors interface easier for non-devs to work with and one of those
> was an original founder of TDF so she's quite powerful and good at
> getting things done.  If we could get others to help her it wouldn't
> hurt though.

I think you're speaking about me ;) I'm not alone, there is also some
member of the FR group who are willing to help, and some devs who are
working on the help also.

> People from Ask are welcome to edit the wiki.  Everything on the wiki
> is under 2 and half years old and people do work quite hard at it
> already.  It's the nature of wiki's in general and LO's particularly
> that changes and improvements are always possible.  So, although not
> quite perfect it is pretty good and does have people working on it.

What is on the wiki is the exact reflection of what is along the
product. The source is English (like for the UI), we translate it on
Pootle and then deliver it to the wiki or the product.
Now, the workflow has to be decided with the l10n team too. And also be
aware that writing help items is _not_ like writing documentation, it's
a different purpose and should be envisaged has complementary. It should
be possible to access it of line, very quickly and whatever how old your
computer is. It should give a brief description of a string or a dialog,
not more (it's not a how-to, it's not a training support, etc.). So the
people wanting to participate should first get very familiar with the
help as it is currently and adapt them to this content.

> Other items that the docs team have put on their wish-list would be
> great too but it's the in-built help that would have the biggest
> impact.  I'm just not sure we are able to deal with it.

Yes, it's true. If well organized that shouldn't take long to update it,
clean it and make it useful again.
Thanks Tom for your lobbying on that ;)

Kind regards
Sophie