Hi Jean.
I will update to v4.1 then and make a start on Appendix B for Calc 4.1.

Thanks to all who have offered to check the guide's Excel statement for me.

Regards
JohnS
On 16/09/2013 00:08, Jean Weber wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 5:38 AM, John Smith <clicks...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hi.
I've uploaded chapter 7 to the Calc Drafts 4.0 folder here;
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/calc-guide/draft-lo4/chapter-7-formulas-and-functions/view

I have left a few comments in the chapter, one of which I need someone to
answer.
It concerns a statement about Excel which I'm unable to verify as I have no
access to Excel, at least not later than the Win95 version :-) .

Peter, I see you intend to continue with the remainder of Calc. I did
chapter 8 for v3.4. The Pivot table had not fully morphed over from
DataPilot at that time so I don't think this will make a good stating point
for v4.0.
However, Martin Fox did the same chapter for v3.5, which was out when when
we were doing the v3.4 docs and in that, Pivot table was fully functional.
He put the chapter into the drafts 3.4 folder as there was no 3.5 folder.
I've had a look around ODF but I can't see it anywhere. Hopefully Jean may
have access to a copy, as ODF has gone through some changes since the file
was uploaded.
You can see his email to docs, dated 17 May 2012, on Nabble for reference.
Searching 'Calc chapter 8' will find it.

Jean, if there's nothing else you want me to look at, I'll return to the
Writer guide. I'll hang on for a few days, if I hear nothing then I will
update my system to v4.1 and get started.

Regards
JohnS
John, thanks for your work on Chapter 7. Peter, perhaps you can follow
up on John's question as well as doing whatever else you intend with
that chapter? Of course, anyone else who can answer John's Excel
question is very welcome to do so!

Regarding Chapter 8 (Pivot Tables), AFAIK Martin Fox's v3.5 comments
were incorporated into the v3.4 chapter published in July 2012, after
being checked that they were valid for v3.4. I could, of course, be
misremembering. I'm looking through my backups to see if I can find a
copy of the file he edited. At this point, it's probably not all that
relevant, because of further changes in Calc itself.

John, we're not working on v4.0 docs any more, not even for Calc, so
please feel free to update your system to v4.1. IMO the most helpful
thing you can do right now -- if you're willing -- is to look at Calc
Appendix B and update it with the new functions (from v3.5, 3.6, 4.0,
4.1). The lists of new functions are readily available on the new
features pages of the LO website, but I have not looked yet to see
where to get the descriptions. Possibly the French team has already
done this and can help?