Hi,

I want to use XPath Expressions on a HTML page. I use
JTidy to convert a page into XHTML. This XHTML can be
easily transformed into a dom4j Document.
My current problem is that I get a NullPointerException
if I try to access any Node in the page using a XPath
Expression. I don't understand why...

Thanks in advance

Marco

----%<-------
import java.io.ByteArrayInputStream;
import java.io.InputStream;

import org.dom4j.Document;
import org.dom4j.Node;
import org.dom4j.io.DOMReader;
import org.w3c.tidy.Tidy;

public class TestTidyDom4j
{
    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
        String page=
            new StringBuffer()
                .append("<html>")
                .append("<head>")
                .append("<title>")
                .append("Test")
                .append("</title>")
                .append("</head>")
                .append("<body>")
                .append("<h1>This is a test</h1>")
                .append("</body>")
                .append("</html>")
                .toString();

        // make HTML to XHTML
        Tidy tidy= new Tidy();
        tidy.setXHTML(true);
        InputStream in= new ByteArrayInputStream(page.getBytes());
        org.w3c.dom.Document xhtml= tidy.parseDOM(in, null);
        // translate DOM for dom4j
        DOMReader xmlReader= new DOMReader();
        Document document= xmlReader.read(xhtml);

        Node table= document.selectSingleNode("/html/body");
        System.err.println("table : " + table.asXML());
        //                                             ^^^^^ here is a
        //                      NullPointerException is thrown
    }
}