--- Jerry Abbott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Our company is a ecommerce company.  We currently have no middle tier.  We
> are looking into moving most all of our business logic into a middle tier.
> The middle tier will need to communicate with both our internet and our
> intranet (which consists of a 300 person call center and more ).  We were
> planning on putting the middle tier in its on farm.  There is a possibility
> that we will be moving the call center to an external location in the
> future.

By putting this kind of service on a physically different middle tier you will
introduce a network
roundtrip (or more) from the web servers to the middle tier servers each time a
business component
is used.  This is not commonly done.  Most people install middle tier components on
the web
servers to eliminate this extra roundtrip.

> The question is, can we do this with web services?  Would we want to do it
> with web services?  If not then what?  Should we plan on using both .net
> remoting with web services?

Web services are more for remoting when you can not control the network protocols very
well.  You
are best off using DCOM or .Net remoting for your own machine to machine remote calls.

Web services grew from the desire to link business partners, at different physical
sites,
together.  Proprietry protocols such as DCOM and IIOP didn't work very well over the
internet in
practice, and also the cost of implementing private inter-network connections.  SOAP
over the
Internet is the solution.

Web services would be best used with business partners on remote sites over the public
Internet,
where a private inter-network link is impractical.  An example being if you want to
include
Microsoft .Net passport as your authentification.  It would be impractical for
Microsoft to
install a new private link for each user of passport.

> I think I have gotten confused with all the web services hype.  It seems
> powerful and I like the interoperability but is the performance hit going
> to be to much?

Two general rules are worth bearing in mind (usually in this order):
1) Extra roundtrips are best avoided where possible.
2) Sending more data (size) than is necessary is best avoided where possible.

1) is about design of your interface to your business objects, and also about putting
things on
the same machine where possible.

SOAP is relatively costly (at the moment) in terms of 2) data size.  A binary protocol
is going to
be lighter.

Peter Foreman