Shawn Wildermuth [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> That is essentially what I want.  Unfortunatley, ctor's are
> not part of the interface of a class so I cannot require that
> inherited classes create ctors in a particular way.

Right, you can't. This type of requirement would only be able to be enforced
by documentation. IMHO this isn't such a big deal as people who are trying
to create types that fit into your framework need to have some basic
understanding of the class heirarchy. Obviously they need documentation to
explain how to override the initialization function, so you should put the
explanation for a parameterless constructor there.

The perfect example of this is the Formatter documentation which requires
you to create a protected constructor matching a certain signature. Another
example is the XmlSerializer framework which lays out several rules in
documentation only, one of which is the requirement of a parameterless
constructor.

HTH,
Drew

You can read messages from the DOTNET archive, unsubscribe from DOTNET, or
subscribe to other DevelopMentor lists at http://discuss.develop.com.