On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:10 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 12:05 -0700, Jeff Ramsey wrote:
Aug  1 11:58:51 imap dovecot: auth(default): passwd(QUINAULT-
ileneyoung,::ffff:10.200.254.110): lookup
Aug  1 11:58:51 imap dovecot: auth(default): passwd(QUINAULT-
ileneyoung,::ffff:10.200.254.110): unknown user
..
Perhaps this sheds some light on the matter? Why is it trying to
authenticate the user again at 11:58:51 when there was no disconnect
after 11:58:47?

Outlook just wanted to create yet another connection.

And why is it failing? My guess on why it is failing
is because the Active Directory Server cannot respond fast enough to
handle the second request, after already handling the first, but I am
just guessing.

I think the problem has to do with NSS. It probably failed with some
error, but since unfortunately getpwnam() interface doesn't support
reporting errors, Dovecot just assumed that the user didn't exist.

I can't think of why this would work any differently with Dovecot
v0.99.x.

I think you should rather get rid of userdb passwd and configure Dovecot
to use userdb ldap to connect directly to your AD.

Using / not using nscd might also help.

I did the downgrade back to 0.99.11-8.EL4, which I realize is not truly 0.99.x, it's got some 1.0.? updates inserted from Red Hat.

Anyhow, I did not get anymore messages about 'user unknown' immediately after the downgrade. However, I was still getting a few 'IMAP Server disconnected' errors in my Outlook clients. So, on a hunch I ran a diff command between the default 0.99.11-8.EL4 conf file and my old, known working 0.99.11-8.EL4 conf file, restored from a backup, and I noticed that even though I was not using the POP3 protocol at all, I still have the outlook-pop3-no-nuls and the oe6- fetch-no-newmail workarounds enabled, along with the outlook-idle workaround. So, I added those two workarounds to the default config, and it is working again. No 'IMAP Server disconnected' errors all day long.

In 0.99.11-8.EL4, could this outlook-pop3-no-nuls be solving this issue, even though I am using IMAP protocol, not POP3?

Since in 1.0.2, the workarounds are on a separate conf line for POP3 and IMAP, is there an equivalent workaround for Outlook with IMAP? The wiki mentions a workaround called 'outlook-no-nuls'. Will that one work with 1.0.2 under the IMAP workarounds line? And am I being realistic that this may be my issue?

Tomorrow, I am going to start building a test server with 1.0.2 on it, to figure out how to make userdb LDAP work with my Active Directory. I plan on trying this outlook-no-nuls workaround for myself, I was just wondering if there is even a chance that this is causing the issue.

Thanks for all of the help, this is a great list.

Jeff Ramsey
MIS Administrator
TMI Forest Products, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]