On 03/04/10 09:10, Noel Butler wrote:
There is only one authoritative source who should be writing it if a
book is to be written and we all know who that author should be.

I disagree. In the time I've been watching/using Dovecot (since the 0.99 series) Timo has had many cases of improving Dovecot [even if it's just a config option name] because of the points of view of other people.

For many reasons, I thinks it would be better if someone else [preferably someone with a long history with Dovecot, of course] were to write the book, and Timo signed off on it.

But for what version, as 1.x is in wide usage and will be for a long
time, 2.0 is almost upon us,  much of 1.x is not applicable to 2.x , so
should Timo be writing 2 books? One excessively big book?  Where is he
to find time to write this whilst developing dovecot, and heaven forbid,
enjoy the outside world with a real life :)

Given a sizable portion of understanding Dovecot is understanding email in general, I wonder just how much of the book would bifurcate for covering the differing versions...

--
Curtis Maloney