Hi Charlie & Kim,

Kim pointed me in the right direction and I now have it working to my
satisfaction with only the following in localsearch.css:

.clock
{
 font-size:15px;
 text-align:center;
}

I have changed the clock display in localprefs.js to suit my taste and
it looks better centered.

Thanks to you both for all the useful pointers.

'Till the next time... ;)