Dear Gareth,

I realize I used some very bad wording in my previous posts in this thread.
Please bear in mind that I'm not a native English speaker. It wasn't my
intention to flame or even criticize you.

I'll try very hard in this post to bring across what I really want to say, but
I'm afraid the damage is done...

Gareth Hughes wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
>
> > I certainly don't question your past dedication. I appreciate it very
> > much. I was a bit deceived by your abandoning it though.
>
> Mate, if you understood the situation, you wouldn't be saying this.  I will
> let this pass by as a result.

I intended to say: I was very impressed by what you achieved for the DRI. And
I was very sad to see your activity almost suddenly cease when you got laid
off by VA. That was my impression, anyway; maybe I have just missed your
activity since then?

> > My point is that nobody is asking anything like this of you. I think you
> > could still be of very much help by giving advice, leading others in the
> > right direction or whatever.
>
> See my previous comment.  I've posted suggestions on how to get the mach64
> DMA code working on several occasions, in case you'd forgotten.  Are you
> suggesting that writing an almost-fully functional driver isn't leading
> other developers in the right direction?  Wow...

No, I was never talking about the mach64 driver at all. Can't say anything
about that really.

> > My concern is primarily about r128 BTW, which suffers from serious
> > instability at least on PPC.
>
> Have you forgotten all the work I did to get this working in the first
> place?

No, how could I?

> I think this was pretty good, considering I've never actually owned a PPC
> machine.

Absolutely.

Just let me sincerely state the impression I got from working on it together
with you on a few rare (but exciting and valuable for me) occasions: that you
prefer doing something yourself over helping someone else doing it. I can
understand that, I even basically do the same. But as you won't work on the
r128 driver anymore - again, for good reasons - I politely ask you to help us
fix the remaining issues, rather than letting it be altogether.

> The ball's in your court -- as my good friend David S. Miller says, "show me
> the code"...

Let me assure you that I'm far from wanting you to do any of my work. Granted,
I can be very lazy at times. :) But I honestly think I'm rather on the active
side of the so called OSF community, far from only passively benefitting from
others' work.

I hope this clarifies a few things. If anything is still inflamatory, rest
assured that it's not intended to be, and please ask back so I can further
clarify.