Have you tried a lower resolution?  If it's some sort of memory leak, I'd
expect that you'd run into it eventually even at a lower resolution.  If
it doesn't happen at lower resolutions, maybe you really just don't have
enough offscreen memory at 1280x1024.  Also, did you run any GL apps
before starting mplayer or between attempts (or during attempts)?  The
current code allocates and frees 3D offscreen mem when transitioning from
no GL contexts to one or more and on transitioning from one or more GL
contexts to none.  It's possible that there's a leak happening on the
transitions.  Also could you send your complete X log after reproducing
the problem?

--Leif

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Svante Signell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have problems with the latest mach64 branch from dri-cvs. After a
> successful view of an .avi clip next time the card memory does not
> seem to be available, i.e. the card is left in a bad state? The only
> way to rerun the application is to exit X and restart.
>
> The example given below is with a 2D application: mplayer, but other
> applications behave similarly. I think the problem is with the mach64
> driver for X, and this is developed in the DRI project, right?
>
> The X server is built from DRI-CVS two days ago with the XV patches
> added from Leif Delgass homepage.
>
> cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log: XFree86
> Version 4.2.0 (DRI mach64 branch) / X Window System (protocol Version
> 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600) Release Date: 18 January 2002
>
> The graphics card is an ATI 3D Rage LT with 8 Meg onboard memory. Desktop size is
>1280x1024
>
> An example of output is when running mplayer with the SDL driver:
>
> VO: [sdl] 624x352 => 624x352 Planar YV12
> SDL: Using driver: x11
> X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  142 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  21
>
> and with the XV driver:
>
> VO: [xv] 624x352 => 624x352 Planar YV12
> X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
>
> MPlayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: flip_page
>
> - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen. It can be a bug in the
>   MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your gcc version. If you
>   think it's MPlayer's fault, please read DOCS/bugreports.html and
>   follow instructions there. We can't and won't help unless you
>   provide these informations when reporting a possible bug.
>
> Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x54)!

Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net