On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Svante Signell wrote:

> Leif Delgass writes:
>  > Have you tried a lower resolution?
> Not yet.

Try restarting X with 1024x768@16bpp for a while and see if you still have
the same problem.

>  > If it's some sort of memory leak, I'd
>  > expect that you'd run into it eventually even at a lower resolution.  If
>  > it doesn't happen at lower resolutions, maybe you really just don't have
>  > enough offscreen memory at 1280x1024.
> What is meant with offscreen memory, main memory + card memory or smth else?
> free:
> Mem:        127660     123760       3900          0       9104      44884
> -/+ buffers/cache:      69772      57888
> Swap:       130748      84172      46576

Offscreen memory refers to the on-card memory left over after the
framebuffer allocation(s).  When there are no GL contexts, the framebuffer
memory is equal to display width x display height x bytes per pixel (2 for
16-bit).  With GL contexts running, there is an additional back buffer
(same size as the 2D "front" framebuffer) plus a depth buffer which is
width x height x 2 (depth buffer is always 16-bit).  The remaining
offscreen memory is used for XAA and XVideo buffers.  You can get a
BadAlloc when there is not enough offscreen memory left.

>  > Also, did you run any GL apps
>  > before starting mplayer or between attempts (or during attempts)?
> xscreensaver is running, so some 3D applications are possibly run when
> it activates. The box is usually on all day.
>
>  > The
>  > current code allocates and frees 3D offscreen mem when transitioning from
>  > no GL contexts to one or more and on transitioning from one or more GL
>  > contexts to none.  It's possible that there's a leak happening on the
>  > transitions.  Also could you send your complete X log after reproducing
>  > the problem?
> Do you mean the XFree86.0.log or an strace log?
> See also below.

I meant the XFree86.0.log.  Could you send the whole thing as an
attachment?

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net