On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 06:35:47PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 18:11, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > I guess it would have to be handled in the driver until 5.0 or whenever
> > > the driver model will be rethought.
> >
> > I have no problem with doing this in the driver, as long as every driver
> > does it the same way. The drivers will be doing the work anyway.
>
> Duplicating a lot of work in the drivers which would be better
> centralized in the driver independent infrastructure.

Yes, but can it be done differently before 5.0 ?

> > Altough i get using a virtual screen is the way to go, i have doubts that
> > the current desktop manager will understand that we are not using a part
> > of the screen.
>
> That's what Xinerama is for.

Yes, did see that on your other mails.

> > Funny that there is discution about this in the DRI list, while when i
> > asked on the xfree86 list some time ago, nobody cared.
>
> Must have missed that, the major motivation behind this would be 3D
> acceleration though.

What about monitor plug & play, or you want to do a presentation, plugin
in the video projector without wanting to restart X.

> Unfortunately, I just recalled a possibly major problem: AFAIK the 3D
> engine can only render to a rectangle up to 2048 pixels wide and high.
> That would be pretty limiting, in particular when the heads are side by
> side.

Mmm, this is a limitation of the DRI 3D engine, or a limitation of the
radeon 3D engine ? My card can do 8kx8k, so this would be no problem,
and i am sure future hardware will also go into that direction.

Friendly,

Sven Luther