José Fonseca wrote:
On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:33:49PM +0200, Felix Kühling wrote:

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that I found a solution to the merge problems Eric
and I were seeing. I believe the problem had to do with vendor branches.
They are created automatically when sources are imported using cvs
import. Many files from XFree86 had a vendor branch (e.g. revisions
1.1.1.x) with several revisions, each corresponding to a cvs import. The
config-0-0-1-branch and savage_1-0-0_branch were forked off such vendor
branches of these files.

However, the last merge from XFree86 was done using cvs commit instead
of cvs import. Therefore the new head revision of the XFree86 files was
e.g. 1.2. Now a normal cvs update -d -j HEAD would determine 1.1 as
common ancestor revision of the branch and the current trunk while the
real ancestor revision is 1.1.1.x (on a vendor branch). The solution is
to explicitly specify the ancestor revision as the branch point. This is
the command line I used for that purpose:

cvs -z3 update -d -j config-0-0-1-branch:2003-05-25 -j HEAD

where 2003-05-25 is the day before the first commit on the
config-0-0-1-branch. Note that -kk is not necessary. In fact it produces
unnecessary conflicts instead of preventing them.

I suggest an update of the cvs policy in order to avoid such problems in
the future. The above operation would have been easier with a tag
marking the branch point. Thus creating a branch should consist of two
steps:

cvs tag <keyword>-<revision>-fork
cvs tag -b <keyword>-<revision>-branch

Then a merge from trunk would be done with:

cvs -update -d -j <keyword>-<revision>-fork -j HEAD

If I get positive feedback on this I would update the wiki page myself.

Or simply if you don't get any negative feedback - maybe its the lack of some caffeine intake but I'm having troubles to grasp the CVS concepts you
mentio, so I'll trust on your judgment, especially since it appears to
simply the procedure considerably.

Hmm. These problems only arise because of the way the merge was done? Why not just document the right way to do the merge?

Keith