Hi Tim, Mark, etc

Thought I might also chime in in advance of our Dev meeting.

While I sympathize with the sentiments expressed here, I'm a little unclear on
what a vote would really buy us.

I have no particular attachment to our legacy service implementations (e.g.
ConfigurationManager, PluginManager, etc),
nor any particular aversion to the dspace-services work, but I would observe
that:

(1) the new services aren't (yet) functional peers of legacy, nor as stable or
tested.
 I can get into specifics, but I noticed at least 3 or 4 patches in the last
month alone to new services.
(2) although I have not closely examined the implementation of dspace-services,
I have no reason to contest some of Graham Triggs' observations about stack
complexity.

But mainly I want to express a point about how development works: it is
'Darwinian' in the sense that the code that prevails is what individuals choose
to adopt and work on given local needs or interests.
We vote with our feet (or keyboards, in this case), rather than by ballot.

A related example can illustrate my point: over the course of the last few
years, we have had many spirited discussions about whether to 'deprecate' one
UI platform or another. And while these discussions were (and are) interesting,
and raise good questions about whether we have the resources to handle A or B,
in the end what is deciding the issue is whether folks put calories into the
maintenance and development of a UI platform. If we had 'officially voted' to
deprecate work on all but Manakin, would that have prevented the creation of
the Discovery UI, or Web MVC UI? Would that have been a good thing?

I'd say that those interested in seeing the dspace-services platform advance
should nourish it by incorporating it into their code, extend it, test it, etc.
If it proves it's worth, it will gradually (or quickly!) displace the older
idiom. But this is a quite different sort of commitment than a deprecation
vote.

My 2 cents,

Richard R.