> The ability to mediate your user requests in Apache httpd (both bots
> and regular users) far outweighs any performance hit, which in my
> experience it is miniscule in comparison to the memory and CPU loads
> that tomcat itself produces being a multi-threaded Java application.
> Apache is a very efficient and optimized http service, the mod_jk
> connector simply streams the request/response cycle to tomcat.

I'd like to see a scientific comparison.. not enough to do one, but
"someone should" :-).  I'll grant that apache itself doesn't add much
overhead, but there's still the latency and extra context switches
of piping all the bits through another process.  The comparsion
may become more interesting when DSpace is serving an archived website
so a page load spawns many DSpace servlet requests for stylesheets, images,
etc, and the overhead for each transaction adds up.

Tomcat still does about the same amount of work for each request.  For
sites with a sever that is _only_ running DSpace, and no other web
applications, and especially without anyone who already knows how to
manage Apache Httpd, using Tomcat by itself seems a reasonable choice.

  -- Larry