On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:39:05AM +0300, Mathias Hjelt wrote:
> I guess using the API would be the "safest" way to access the metadata,
> but I'm wondering if it's overkill for operations that could easily be
> carried out with a small number of relatively simple SQL statements in a
> script. On the other hand, bypassing the API and tweaking database
> contents manually carries the risk of screwing stuff up unintentionally,
> unless one's 100% sure about the scripts.. Any thoughts about this?

Yes, using the DSpace API would be the officially recommended route.
Writing scripts would probably be much faster (in terms of development
time), but support would be more difficult and you would have to have a
lot of confidence that you got it right :) Something else to consider is
that if you write scripts, you would need to check that they still
worked every time you updated your DSpace installation (which isn't
going to be very often, presumably).

I don't have any code samples, but depending on what you're doing (and
which version of DSpace you're using), the DSpace Developer guide by
Richard Jones may be of interest:

http://wiki.dspace.org/static_files/7/7d/DevelopersDocumentation.pdf

cheers,

Jim

--
James Rutherford          |  Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office:
Research Engineer         |  Cain Road,

The contents of this message and any attachments to it are confidential and
may be legally privileged. If you have received this message in error, you
should delete it from your system immediately and advise the sender. To any
recipient of this message within HP, unless otherwise stated you should
consider this message and attachments as "HP CONFIDENTIAL".