Susan Thornton wrote:
> We are currently running a Production instance of DSpace 1.4.2 and would like
> to find out what we would need to do in order to implement encryption
> capabilities in DSpace?  We may only need to be able to encrypt documents,
> however I'd like to hear from anyone who has encrypted either documents
> and/or metadata in DSpace.  Is this something that is done "outside" of
> DSpace, either using OpenSSL or something similar, or postgreSQL, or from
> within DSpace?  Any information I can get on this subject would be very much
> appreciated.

Are you seeking to persist the bitstreams and metadata in encrypted
form; to disseminate them in an encrypted envelope; or merely to
disseminate them over an encrypted channel?

The first option has huge implications related to DSpace system
functions being able to access the persisted bitstreams and metadata.
The first and the second options also imply integration with some kind
of authorization and key management infrastructure. Think: DRM...

Running DSpace over OpenSSL on the other hand is fairly standard, see
the installation documents (esp. w.r.t running Apache over OpenSSL,
getting certificates, etc.). See for example:

http://www.dspace.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=152