Dorothea,

You're proposal seems to me to be the correct approach. Idealy in the
future each file will, group, etc, will have technical,
administrative, and descriptive metadata in various formats - but
that's another 2.0 discussion. I think you've described the correct
way to encode that information inside the METS document. The only
point i'd like to make is that we should follow the METS schema as
close as possible. Right now there is an attribute which is out of
the schema which i'd like to remove if I can ever get some time.

Scott--