> Never mind; answered my own question. This DOES NOT work for imported
> rather than registered bitstreams. Ah, well. I can edit bitstream
> descriptions manually for 300+ items; why not?

You can update Bitstream description fields under program control with
the LNI.  It may even be possible to do this pretty easily with a
scriptable WebDAV client like cadaver, or by writing a very simple LNI
client.  See
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/LightweightNetworkInterface#PROPFIND_and_PROPPATCH_XML_elements

Bitstream resources have a "dspace:description" property that is writable.

Please refer to http://web.mit.edu/lcs/www/lni/ for a cleaner version
of the LNI API document -- the one on the wiki is still very chewed-up from
the conversion.

    -- Larry