I've always found it a bit odd about hiding the provenance metadata
on the dspace items.  I think this metadata came into existence as a
weak attempt to introduce some history on the creation of the item.

Likewise I've not been very concerned about its exposure (albeit the
submitters email address embedded there) Ideally this user info in
the provenence metadata should contain obviscated email addresses
like the kind that are allowed as sha signatures in FOAF persons.
Attaching that signature as metadata to the eperson and allowing
lookup via sha signatures would allow the admins to get back to the
user that submitted or approved the item from the metadata. and thus
there would be no need to hide the actual metadata fields from the
public.

I'd like to eventually see this metadata stored differently so that
METS packages (or ORE ReMs) can easily be exposed without too much
concern for private metadata.

The "metadata/" space is currently being used as a "catch-all" for
exposing various types of metadata to the user (at least in my
usage), it shouldn't be difficult to block it behind either
authentication or drop it entirely using the sitemap.xmap
configuration of Cocoon in the dspace/modules/xmlui/src/main/webapp/
sitemap.xmap.  You'll need to obtain a copy from the dspace-xmlui-
webapp/src/main/webap/sitemap.xmap.

-Mark