On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Gary McGath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This still leaves the problem of other ways the metadata can be viewed.
> For instance, we've disabled METS data from the OAI provider because of
> the same problem. I'm considering patching InstallItem.java so that it
> never puts the provenance element into the metadata in the first place.
> Would this cause any problems?

Technically? Probably not. Operationally? Not unlikely.

I could be wrong about this and welcome correction, but I don't think
depositor information on an item is stored anyplace but the provenance
field. (The system does know who has add/remove/change rights on the
said item, but that's not necessarily the same thing.) This means that
if you remove DC provenance, *you don't know who clicked through the
license*. Somebody check me on this, please?

Truthfully, my librarian's teeth itch at the idea of removing
provenance information; we have it drummed into our heads in library
school that provenance is one of the bits of information you simply do
not discard if you are a responsible content manager. But that's
between you and your librarians. The licensing issue strikes me as
more urgent.

I think, alongside others in this thread, that the fix may be doing
something more responsible with provenance/history information than
leaving it in an (editable! easily falsifiable!) Dublin Core field.
(I'd rather see it go into a separate table in the database, though I
suspect that's a temporary fix at best.) The problems noted about
exposing email addresses only strengthen this sense.

Dorothea

--
Dorothea Salo [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Digital Repository Librarian AIM: mindsatuw