On Jul 8, 2008, at 12:35 PM, Gary McGath wrote:

> Mark Diggory wrote:
>
>> Likewise I've not been very concerned about its exposure (albeit the
>> submitters email address embedded there) Ideally this user info in
>> the provenence metadata should contain obviscated email addresses
>> like the kind that are allowed as sha signatures in FOAF persons.
>> Attaching that signature as metadata to the eperson and allowing
>> lookup via sha signatures would allow the admins to get back to the
>> user that submitted or approved the item from the metadata. and thus
>> there would be no need to hide the actual metadata fields from the
>> public.
>
> Whatever the ideal may be, the reality is that there are e-mail
> addresses in the provenance data. I consider it the basic
> responsibility
> of any web application not to publish people's e-mail addresses
> without
> their consent. The second problem, peculiar to us because of the
> embargo
> requirement, is the inclusion of the bitstream file names, which
> make it
> easy to access embargoed files. On both counts, the exposure of
> provenance metadata is a serious problem and can't wait for 1.5.1.

I tend to agree.

>> The "metadata/" space is currently being used as a "catch-all" for
>> exposing various types of metadata to the user (at least in my
>> usage), it shouldn't be difficult to block it behind either
>> authentication or drop it entirely using the sitemap.xmap
>> configuration of Cocoon in the dspace/modules/xmlui/src/main/webapp/
>> sitemap.xmap.  You'll need to obtain a copy from the dspace-xmlui-
>> webapp/src/main/webap/sitemap.xmap.
>
> As I said in my post, that was what I did. My first attempt was to
> change "metadata" to some other string of letters (let's say
> "detamata"). If I do that, Manakin hangs. I then refined the
> attempt to
> redirect "metadata/**" to something else. Same result.

Thats odd, because theres and /internal/metadata/... internal
pipeline that all this is supposed to be going through, I wonder if
thats not the case then. Do your "hangs" eventually timeout? ca you
get any logging out of the xmlui/WEB-INF/logs on this issue? That
might expose the pipeline thats attempting to access this via /
metadata rather than /internal/metadata.

-Mark