I would recommend two things;
1) batches of 200 documents (elsewhere their XML representation in memory becomes very big) 2) make a PostgreSQL Maintenance (ANALYZE) after loading the first 200 and after loading a big part (first 10 thousand records)

Christophe

Stuart Lewis a écrit :
Hi Ilias,

 I am using the dspace import tool for batch ingesting in a Postgres
database and I am facing extremely slow feedback in each record commitment.
Initially, the speed was normal but when the items tend to be around 30
thousand, the speed of each commitment is unacceptable.
Is there any known problem with the maximum size of dspace database
using postgres or in the import tool?

Any comments will be helpful.

The following paper talks about this, and how DSpace performs when ingesting
1 million items:

Testing the Scalability of a DSpace-based Archive, Dharitri Misra, James
Seamans, George R. Thoma, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, Maryland,
USA

http://www.dspace.org/images/stories/ist2008_paper_submitted1.pdf

Is this one big import of 30,000 items, or do you break them up into smaller
chunks?

Thanks,

Stuart

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth                      Aberystwyth University

            E-bost / E-mail: stuart.le...@aber.ac.uk
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860

begin:vcard
fn:Christophe Dupriez
n:Dupriez;Christophe
org:DESTIN inc. SSEB
adr;quoted-printable:;;rue des Palais 44, bo=C3=AEte 1;Bruxelles;;B-1030;Belgique
email;internet:christophe.dupr...@destin.be
title:Informaticien
tel;work:+32/2/216.66.15
tel;fax:+32/2/242.97.25
tel;cell:+32/475.77.62.11
note;quoted-printable:D=C3=A9veloppement de Syst=C3=A8mes de Traitement de l'Information
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.destin.be
version:2.1
end:vcard