My use case involves running a number of DSpace instances in various
departments, and collaborating entities that hold digital materials
(text, image, video, spatial, etc). I need to have a central point for
users to search across all these instances. Some of the instances may
not be public.

The Carrot2 software looks interesting from my perspective.

Anyone think I'm going in the wrong direction?

John