Victoria & Richard,

We actually ran across several issues with Collection Administration in
the XMLUI in 1.5.x.  This functionality has been almost completely
re-built in the upcoming 1.6.0 release -- both for the XMLUI and the JSPUI.

In the upcoming 1.6.0 release, there will be both Community and
Collection Administrators possible.

By default, a Community Administrator will be able to perform any
actions within that Community (including in any sub-communities or
sub-collections).  In the same manner, by default, a Collection
Administrator will be able to perform any actions (add/withdraw/delete)
to any item within that collection.

In 1.6, you will also be able to make your own policies around what
Community and Collection Administrators are allowed to do within your
DSpace installation.  So, if you wanted to, you could disable a
Collection Admins ability to delete items (by setting a new flag in the
dspace.cfg).

So, I'd recommend upgrading to 1.6 once it is released (likely in
mid-Feb), for a more stable Delegated Administration system.

- Tim