Hi DSpace Community,

The first release candidate for DSpace 1.7 is now available for beta
testing.

Some key new features to be on the lookout for are:

   - Mirage -- A clean new theme for XMLUI
   - Curation System -- A system for admins to perform curation tasks (such
   as virus scans, file format detection, metadata inspection) on their data.
   - Total Top Downloads -- When authenticated, there is a statistics link
   from the homepage of XMLUI to see the top 10 downloaded items.
   - Discovery Layer -- Faceted browse of site metadata

Plus numerous other changes, that you can find in the Release
Notes<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+1.7.0+Notes>
.

Testathon / Feedback:
http://demo.dspace.org

The Developer community never stops, and has created numerous new features,
changes, improvements, bug-fixes, and other changes that go in to the next
release of DSpace, DSpace 1.7. So we ask that you take a moment of your time
to help ensure that we maintain the same great level of quality in the
software that one would expect, to do so, check out what we've worked on,
and leave us feedback where appropriate.

*WHO*: You! Everyone is invited to take part. Whether you manage multiple
instances, or are interested in trying it out, we welcome your feedback.

*WHAT*: Help beta-test DSpace to ensure that it passes its ultimate test:
that it does what users expect it to. We've added new features that could
use more eyes, browsers, and mouse-clicks to make sure that things aren't
missing, that they don't break, that they don't lose your data, and that
they easily do what one expects them to do. So if any features have issues
while your testing it, click the Feedback button and tell us about it.

*WHEN*: Starting: Monday 8th to Sunday 12th, November 2010. You can keep
visiting the site and leaving feedback afterwards, as part of continual
improvement.

*WHY*: The sooner we find and fix bugs, the higher quality the software will
be when it comes time to upgrade or install to 1.7.

*HOW*: Go to http://demo.dspace.org and test-drive one of the DSpace User
Interfaces, such as JSPUI or XMLUI. If anything comes up while you are
testing DSpace, you can click the red Feedback link on the page. If you just
have a question then you can either email dspace-tech, or chat with some
other power-users in our IRC (freenode.net #dspace) chat room, people are
always online, especially during Testathon week. If your more technically
inclined, you can download, and install your own copy of DSpace. We're
looking for feedback on the DSpace software, as well as inaccuracies in our
documentation<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/DSpace+Documentation>
.

Download / Documentation: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Roadmap

--