Hi thanks for the help I am running Gentoo linux which has a platform encoding
of ANSI_X3.4-1968 I will try and change it to UTF-8

From: Kim Shepherd [mailto:kim.sheph...@gmail.com]
Sent: 24 March 2011 10:33 AM
To: Iola Hagen [ioh]
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] 1.7 build failed with Solr Stats

Hi Iola,

The problem seems to be related to character encoding:

/storage/repos/dspace17/dspace-1.7.0-src-release/dspace-stats/src/main/java/org/dspace/statistics/util/LocationUtils.java:[26,13]
 unmappable character for encoding ASCII
There are country names like "Åland Islands" that will cause problems in a
non-UTF-8 environment (eg. ASCII, ISO-8859-1, windows-1252).

I haven't encountered this issue before.. I'm guessing that your environment
(eg. Windows, Linux), maven, or javac itself is not configured to use UTF-8
encoding. Could you give a bit more detail about what OS you're running, etc?

(it seems from your comments that you're not using an IDE to build, but just in
case you are, that will also need default character encoding changed to UTF-8)

A possible workaround is to replace some of the non-ASCII characters in
LocationUtils.java with their ASCII equivalents, but the better solution will
be to try and get your environment fully UTF-8 compatible.

Hope this helps! Sorry my answer isn't very precise.

Cheers,

Kim

On 24 March 2011 22:54, Iola Hagen [ioh]