On Fri, 6 May 2011, Richard Rodgers wrote:

> The embargo system is designed to protect bitstreams, not metadata.
>While it certainly would be possible to alter OAI or other code to check
>for embargo dates, this has not been done to the best of my knowledge. I
>am curious why, given that the content will be inaccessible, is it
>desirable to hide the metadata from harvesters?

I'd like to ask for a flag in the dspace config file to let dark items be
properly dark (including embargoed items). This applies to search results
as well as (possibly even more so) to harvesting.

There are several instances where it might be necessary for metadata to be
hidden:

- data protection (if the metadata contains sensitive information)
- commercial interest (e.g. novel discoveries waiting to be exploited)
- academic (e.g. disputed works)
- usability (dark items aren't available, so shouldn't show up)

We've put considerable work in filtering dark items from search results
(which took a lot of work, and yet was still a dirty hack) and OAI. It
would be nice to see this functionality in the main code base.

Best,

--
Tom De Mulder <td...@cam.ac.uk> - Cambridge University Computing Service
+44 1223 3 31843 - New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QH