On May 10, 2011, at 2:38 AM, Tom De Mulder wrote:

> On Fri, 6 May 2011, Richard Rodgers wrote:
>
> I'd like to ask for a flag in the dspace config file to let dark items be
> properly dark (including embargoed items). This applies to search results
> as well as (possibly even more so) to harvesting.

It should be captured in the "ResourcePolicies" attached to the Collection,
Item and/or Bitstreams, because that is where it could be enforced explicitly
by the AuthorizationManager.

> There are several instances where it might be necessary for metadata to be
> hidden:
>
> - data protection (if the metadata contains sensitive information)
> - commercial interest (e.g. novel discoveries waiting to be exploited)
> - academic (e.g. disputed works)
> - usability (dark items aren't available, so shouldn't show up)
>
> We've put considerable work in filtering dark items from search results
> (which took a lot of work, and yet was still a dirty hack) and OAI. It
> would be nice to see this functionality in the main code base.

There are also, System Administration reasons, for example, while an Item is
being altered/edited, it may be the case that we do not want to expose it until
we've completed that work.

-Mark