Hi Girma
The  tool that helix refers to is called BME, Batch metadata editing.
I think the best aproach to figure out the tool characteristics (apart the important notes from Maureen Walsh presentation and helix comments) is going through a complete process of export-edit-import items. Just take a collection with a couple of items with most of the metadata fields filled, and export them to a CSV file. Download it, and open it with excel or openoffice. edit, complete, move, replace... Change, Save and Import. The final steps are the most relevant to you.... you can append (copy-paste) your metadata records to that file and upload them

We did a video "explaining" the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR-FVVtoBqU

best luck

Emilio