Hi,

Running DSpace v1.6.2 (JSPUI).

Our DSpace server ran out of disk space "unexpectedly" (as we thought we had
allowed for substantial growth) and I have now determined it is because of a
huge amount of "orphaned" content in our Assetstore.

Looking at our bitstream table, there are 38,488 rows but 22,287 of them are
marked as "deleted=true".

I have determined that this "orphaned content" is a result of the integration
between our CRIS system (Converis) and DSpace - each time a Publication record
(that has full text attached and that has already been exported to DSpace) is
updated in our CRIS it updates the corresponding record in DSpace - only it
does this by deleting the existing record and creating a new one with the same
handle, which results in the files belonging to the deleted record lying around
in the Assetstore as orphaned bitstreams.

So, I've been reading up in the manual, and I note the existence of the
"/dspace/bin/cleanup" script which I believe will resolve this problem by
deleting the "old" rows from the bitstream table and the corresponding files in
the assetstore (?).

However, before I run this and potentially muck everything up, I was hoping
that someone could confirm that this script will do what I'm after, and that it
will be able to handle such a "large" cleanup? And if there are any other
gotchas or advice relating to this that anyone out there can offer?

I'll backup the assetstore and DB before doing anything, but any advice or
reassurance would be most welcome as I'm obviously nervous about running
something that could, potentially, do more harm than good :-).

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. If there is anyone else out there with an integration between Converis and
DSpace, you might also want to look into this!

Michael White
eLearning Liaison and Development (eLD)
Information Services
S8, Library
University of Stirling
Stirling SCOTLAND
FK9 4LA
Email: michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1786 466877
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 466880
http://www.stir.ac.uk/is/staff/about/teams/aldt/#eld

--
The University of Stirling is ranked in the top 50 in the world in The Times
Higher Education 100 Under 50 table, which ranks the world's best 100