Hi all --

  I'm putting together a new DSpace installation (3.2 on RHEL 6.4,
with the xmlui), and I have a requirement to enforce password
complexity and expiration rules.

  My first thought was to do this by using a local LDAP for
authentication -- I think I've learned what I need to know about
LDAP, but I've run into a snag.  If I turn on both PasswordAuthentication
and LDAPAuthentication in the authentication.cfg file, users are
offered a choice at log-in time, and, once an LDAP user is registered,
it seems that they can then set up a PasswordAuthentication password,
thus bypassing the LDAP controls.

  If I set up the system as being exclusively LDAP, then the
admin user set up at install time via create-administrator
cannot log in at all.

  Has anyone solved this problem?

  I strongly favor an LDAP-based solution, because it would mean
that I can use the same LDAP for a number of other web applications
on the machine, and strike a blow against password proliferation.

  Thanks.

                                -- A.
--
Dr. Andrew C. E. Reid
Physical Scientist, Computer Operations Administrator