I sent Scott a solution based of my jpeg thumbnail off-list for testing.  I
suppose I should have kept it on list so that everyone was on the same
page.  Live and learn!  I can share my version if anyone is interested, but
it sounds like Terry's solution does the job.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Alan Orth <alan.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Terry,
>
> That's very interesting.  I just tried your code and it works great, I
> compared it to the XPDF method as well as our the manual thumbnailing
> we've been using (embarassingly) for a few years[0].  The colors in the
> PDF I used as an example are a bit exaggerated, but it's not too bad and
> the thumbnail is much more crisp.
>
> BTW, I made a pull request[1] on your repo to add some installation /
> configuration instructions to your README.md.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Alan
>
> [0] http://i.imgur.com/xzH5tcL.png
> [1]
>
> https://github.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/DSpaceImageMagickThumnails/pull/1
>
> On 10/15/2013 06:34 PM, Terry Brady wrote:
> > We had a similar need.  I created a module to build thumbnails with
> > ImageMagick and Ghost Script.
> >
> > If this sounds useful, you can see the code here.
> >

> https://github.com/Georgetown-University-Libraries/DSpaceImageMagickThumnails
> >
> > Terry
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:08 AM, RENTON Scott <scott.ren...@ed.ac.uk
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks folks. I've emailed Jason as you can probably see!
> >>
> >> Scott
> >>
> >> Scott Renton
> >> Systems Developer, Library & University Collections
> >> 24 Buccleuch Place, 2nd Floor Right
> >> tel: 515219

> work
> happy

> >> --
> >> The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
> >> Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

> >> October Webinars: Code for Performance
> >> Free Intel webinars can help you accelerate application performance.
> >> Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
> >> from
> >> the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and
> register >
> >>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60135031&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk
> >> List Etiquette:
> >> https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Mailing+List+Etiquette

> > October Webinars: Code for Performance
> > Free Intel webinars can help you accelerate application performance.
> > Explore tips for MPI, OpenMP, advanced profiling, and more. Get the most
> from
> > the latest Intel processors and coprocessors. See abstracts and register
> >

> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=60135031&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

> > List Etiquette:

> Alan Orth
> alan.o...@gmail.com
> http://alaninkenya.org
> http://mjanja.co.ke
> "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
> telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how
> to use my telephone." -Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++
> GPG Public Key: 0xf92c4bd91084bb5de14e20be9470dd588dd1026c

> [...]

Jason Sherman
Systems Librarian
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
405.574.1340